I wrote this post like a girl

Sep 15 2011 Published by under Uncategorized

Holy crap, but Emily Hauser has hit it out of the park again. Everyone needs to go read her post about the phrase "like a girl". I think she summed it up best last night on the twitter:

As a person trying to raise a little girl (and being a grown-up girl myself), I ABSOLUTELY FUCKING HATE this stupid phrase. It is one of the insidious ways that our culture makes it clear that females are not quite so great as the males. There are no examples of when doing something "like a girl" is a compliment. This shit phrase, and the ability to throw it around in our culture without thinking about it, lays the foundation for other, less-subtle examples: "too pretty for homework" school wear (OH FOR FUCKS SAKE) and "hazing" of major league baseball pitchers by making them wear little girl's backpacks. (THE HORROR!)

If only there were more guys like the Sedin brothers. In response to an idiot announcer referring to them as "Thelma and Louise" during the playoffs last year, this was their response:

"I don't know how he looks at women. I would be pretty mad if I was a woman."

source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/03/10/bc-sedin-hospital-donation.html

Fuck yeah.

So, if you haven't yet- click over to Emily's place to read her (much more eloquent) take on what it means to be "like a girl". Let's rid the vernacular of this idiotic phrase, so that hopefully when Mini-G is older she doesn't have to hear this shit every day.

• Zuska says:

As soon as I read the title I could tell you were writing like a girl. Either that, or a dude wrote it for you. Some famous dude told me so, so it must be so.

• tmbtx says:

What do you mean "like a girl?" Your i's should be dotted with hearts.

I guarantee that my 2 boys won't use this phrase though. Their 2-year old sister thumps them regularly.

Good for them! I guess more than just wishing this phrase would go away, I wish that it wasn't considered derogatory to be called a girl.

• tmbtx says:

It does need to go away. My dad used to pull the "throw like a girl" on me when he was my little league coach. Which was odd, as the league championship team was anchored by identical twin sisters at shortstop and second base.

And hopefully my boys are learning not to use that phrase for more reasons than fear of their sister. I think they are. It's consistent with the "you can be anything but a republican" parenting philosophy we've adopted.

• Dr Becca says:

You are SUCH a girl.

• BikeMonkey says:

We got a new player on our hockey team this season who plays like a total girl. The kind of girl that played Div I. Classiest player in the league so far from what I've seen. We are SO set!!!!

• PQA says:

I completely and totally agree with everything you said and in Emily's post. To cheer us all up you should check out some of the girls t-shirts target is selling. They say "you wish you could throw like a girl" and "Play like a girl, who beats boys" (http://www.xojane.com/fashion/good-news-girls-t-shirts-courtesy-target).

It made me very happy to walk by them the other day. I would have totally rocked them if they sold them when I was a little girl.

• Ed says:

As for being bad for teh menz too, actually this bothers me almost on a weekly basis because I suffer from gynecomastia.

A man who has (visible) breasts is not just ugly but supposed to be ashamed or humiliated or embarrassed. A woman who has say facial hair or a deep voice or a male shaped jaw might be considered less attractive but it's not supposed to be shameful. Feminine men are embarrassing failures, masculine women are viewed as aggressive, strong, dominant, whatever ( and "bitches" too, but in the balance of things... )

• DTK Greg says:

I used to umpire softball for men and women.
    At one particular women's fast pitch game, a runner was attempting an in-the-park home run. The catcher, standing over the plate, received the ball from the outfield just before the runner crashed into her.
    The catcher was thrown backwards in a roll. She sat up and shook her head to clear it.
    Did she cry? No.
    Did she complain? No.
    Did she leave the game injured? No.
    She did, however, hold her glove up to me to demonstrate that the crashing runner hadn't dislodged the ball.
    I called the runner "out". I also starting using the phrase "like a girl" in a wholly different manner.

• modscientist says:

Great post, and you gotta love the Sedins! I'm late to comment but I want to remark on the pink backpack ritual in baseball -I believe it's truly meant to more about "you're just a kid" than "you're just a girl".

I don't mean that the teams that make the bullpen rookies carry pink backpacks are NOT contributing to the issue you speak to in this post, I just wanted to point out that the ritual began decades ago and has only recently moved towards children's theme (including pink) bags.

The Mariners have some animal shaped bags, the Cubs have Blue's Clues bags, and the Padres are known for their Star Wars backpack collection Yes, there are many teams that have pink bags but, as an avid baseball fan, I've noticed the Pokemon bags as much as the Hello Kitty bags.

It also reminds me of how my mom knit my niece a pink sweater and she felt obligated to wear it but was horrified. Yet, her hatred of pink has nothing to do with it being a 'girly' color. She once said "pink is for cupcakes and undercooked meat".

• Jeremy Fox says:

As a youth baseball coach for many years, I also hate the phrase "throw like a girl", and I don't let my players use it (not that I had to worry about that last year, when the best arm on the team belonged to a girl). It's not only sexist, it's false. A more correct phrase would be "throw like an small, untrained child". Little kids, when the first try to throw a baseball overhand, often tend to push or "shot put" the ball, and they often step with the wrong leg. That's the way pretty much everybody, boy or girl, throws overhand if they haven't been taught to do otherwise. I coach 13 and 14-year olds, and every year I get one or two kids coming out who've never played before, or who haven't played since t-ball. They all throw this way, no matter what sex they are.