the attention span of a 4 year old

Jun 17 2011 Published by under Uncategorized

There are times that I can be a little...distractable. I used to describe myself as "having the attention span of a 4 year old". Let me just say that, now I am living with a 4 year old, I was WAY OFF. Holy crap, sometimes the speed with which Mini-G changes topics can induce whip-lash. I love her to death, and she is cute as all get-out. But seriously, I get confused just watching her go down the hall to her bedroom. Between the two of us, our attention spans can lead to some pretty awesome conversations during our morning commute. I mean, really, what are we even talking about anymore?

BTW, a big THANKS to everyone that stepped out of the bloggy shadows to say hi! I really appreciate learning more about you all-so if you haven't participated in my de-lurk meme please do so now.

Thus, it is with great pride that I dedicate this list of random thoughts to Mini-G:

1. WTF is up with the ridiculously ineffective toilet paper, MRU? I know times are tight, but I didn't even know that one could purchase half-ply tp. gah!

2. there is a giant spider family that has made a home under the ledge outside my window. It is sort of mesmerizing.

3. who are all the people riding their bikes down the trail in the middle of the day?

4. should I combine aims 2 and 3? or split aim 1 into 2?

5. cumulus clouds are my favorite (if there have to be clouds)

6. how did I get "I think we're alone now" stuck in my head? I haven't heard that song in years

7. who knew beets+goldfish crackers+kidney beans+blue cheese would be so awesome?

8. I'm a little freaked out by pine-nuts now. Thanks a lot, Scicurious!

9. how soon after a colleague announces they are leaving is is OK to start claiming equipment for the cultch pile?

10. If you go to a conference and 100% of the invited speakers are male and white, is it every OK (as a jr female) to bring this to the attention of the organizer?

11. how are my legs so wrecked after only 6 mi this morning?

12. how long will I stare at this grant before I can think of what I should write next?

13. fuck it, i'm gonna get some more coffee

• katiesci says:

We have a spider family living at the bottom of our basement stairs. I agree that it's mesmerizing!

• Gerty-z says:

I find it interesting that this is the one that caught your attention!

• Christina Pikas says:

Argh. Thank you for 6). The library world just had an example of 10) - but it's more striking when your field is dominated by women to have only white male speakers at an event. Lots of people complained, but I don't know what happened about it. I probably would bring it up.

• scicurious says:

Just buy the European pine nuts, your pesto will be safe! 🙂

I am now officially the crazy lady at the grocery store demanding to know the origin of her pine nuts. Still, totally worth it for the pesto 🙂

• Dr. Sneetch says:

Delurking here -- I enjoy reading your blog.

• 4. should I combine aims 2 and 3? or split aim 1 into 2?

If this is a basic science R01, then it is highly likely that you should do neither. Except under rare circumstances, a basic science R01 should have three specific aims. This is especially true for junior investigators.

Yes, I have heard this. I am in the midst of writing and it has become clear that Aim 1 is a monster. I am thinking of splitting it into 2 Aims and maybe dropping part of 2 and combining the rest with 3. Realistically, I will probably end up with just 1 and part of 3 that will be the whole grant. AAARRRGH!

But really, why is 3 aims the magic #?

Oh great, now I've got "I think we're alone now" swirling about in my brain.....

Some olde white dude decreed all R01's must have 3 Aims, hence we have to mish or mash or rehash our beautiful science into 3 conformists Aims. (That's just my theory--there is probably a non-arbitrary real reason).

I think you should make a 'flag' for your lab and start sticking them on pieces of equipment in the soon-to-be-departed's space OR just get ready to stalk and grab as soon as the lights go dark for the last time.

• Heh - last night I mentioned to my husband that there were too many things to think about, and I didn't know which one to choose. He thought I was nuts. I may have to show him this post.